College Corinthains AFC
Code of Behaviour for Players
Children in College Corinthians AFC are entitled to:
- Be treated with dignity, sensitivity and respect
- Participate in soccer on an equal basis, appropriate to their ability and stage of development.
- College Corinthians AFC have decided that all players are entitled to “fair amount” of playing time in a season. (Consult League rules in this regard) Criteria for team selection should be clearly defined.
- Be happy, have fun and enjoy soccer
- Make a complaint in an appropriate way and have it dealt with through a proper and effective complaints procedure
- Be afforded appropriate confidentiality
- Be listened to and to be believed
- Have a voice in the running of the club
Children should also be encouraged to realise that they also have responsibilities to treat other children, fellow players, coaches and volunteers with the same degree of fairness and respect. In this regard children in College Corinthians AFC should undertake to:
- play fairly, do their best and have fun
- be on their best behaviour at all times
- abide by all club rules make high standards of Fair Play the standard others want to follow
- respect opponents, they are not the enemy, they are partners in a sporting event
- shake hands before and after the match, whoever wins
- give opponents a hand if they are injured, put the ball out of play so they can get attention
- accept apologies from opponents when they are offered
- respect fellow team members and support them both when they do well and when things go wrong
- treat players from minority groups with the same respect you show other people
- be modest in victory and be gracious in defeat- “Be A Sport”
- approach the club Children’s Officer with any questions or concerns they might have.
- Coaches and parents should encourage children to speak out and support them in doing so
Children in College Corinthians AFC should not:
- use abusive language, or argue with, the referee, officials, team mates or opponents
- use violence, use physical contact only when it is allowed within the rules
- tell lies about adults or other children or spread rumours
- take banned substances to improve performance
- keep secrets about any person who may have caused them harm
- behave in any manner that may bring the name of College Corinthians AFC into disrepute
In College Corinthians AFC we want children in College Corinthians AFC to have fun and develop skills in a safe and Fair Play environment where standards of behaviour are just as important as winning.
We recognise that competition and winning is an important goal, but winning at all costs does not meet the needs of young players.
College Corinthians AFC are aware that recent research would suggest that increasing numbers of children leave sport between the ages of eight and thirteen. A number of the most common reasons given were; that sport was no longer fun, they did not get to play and overemphasis on winning. Therefore we have to make every effort to ensure that we keep a balanced approach to competition, make sure all players get a chance to play and strive to keep the fun in soccer.
Making sport fun. In promoting “Sport for Fun” we in College Corinthians AFC will insist on:
- Encouraging participation and fun
- Promoting the development of skills as opposed to winning at all costs
- Ensure a minimum playing time of 15 minutes per match per player (time may vary according to League Rules)
- Emphasising and praising effort
- Acting as a good role models
- Insisting on Fair Play (we will take off offending players)
- Being realistic with our expectations
- Being aware of children’s feelings
- Teaching players to respect different cultures
- Teaching players that standards of behaviour are just as important as winning
Rev 2 March 2022